Practice Administrator / Rota Coordinator
Elmwood Family Doctors
This job is now closed
We are looking for a Practice Administrator to join our PA team.
Our Practice has a large clinical and administrative team. Our senior management team (SMT) comprises of our GP Partners, Business Manager, Operations Manager, HR Manager and Finance Manager. Our management team is supported by four Practice Administrators, who share responsibility for the day-to-day operation of our Practice and make an important contribution to the high standards of service that we deliver to our patients.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a supportive team and to make a meaningful contribution to further developing the high standards our team has put in place. The successful candidate will help deliver the Practice’s strategic plans and ensure good communication between the management team and all staff. It is vital that the candidate has excellent communication skills and highly desirable that they have experience of working within NHS care.
Main duties of the job
This is a varied role.
Key duties will include responsibility for the Clinical Rota system and setting up of all clinical sessions, which is fundamental to the smooth operation of the Practice
The key function of the PA team is to support the SMT to ensure good communication between the SMT and staff, to complete tasks assigned by the SMT, and to support the SMT in ensuring the smooth running of the Practice. This may include support across all aspects of business and operational management, complaints handling and patient services, Significant Events, building management, IT, business continuity, HR, and finance.
The successful candidate will share duties with the rest of the PA team and must be able to work collaboratively with their team to ensure that work is completed and allocation of workload is fair. The successful candidate will need to have a flexible attitude towards the duties they’re asked to take on and to be able to easily adapt to changes.
The successful applicant will be expected to work flexibly between surgery opening hours with varying shift patterns to ensure appropriate PA cover.
Elmwood Family Doctors is a large, modern GP Practice split across two sites, awarded 'Outstanding' in our most recent CQC inspection and with excellent patient feedback in the 2021 annual patient survey. Our Holmfirth site is recently refurbished with excellent facilities. Our Meltham site is in the heart of the local village community. We offer a full range of healthcare services to approximately 15,000 patients across both sites.
A summary of the key duties of the role are set out below and a full job description is available.
- Creation of clinical rotas in SystmOne, including arranging cover for staff absences including organising locum/ agency cover where appropriate, managing booking and changes to patient appointments.
- Acting as Duty Practice Administrator as per Duty rota (1 – 2 days a week), managing incoming emails, tasks and notifications, incoming workflow and diary management, leading on any problems which may arise alongside other managers.
- Management of diaries & e-mails on behalf of the practice.
- Supporting training for the administrative team and assisting the HR Manager in maintaining a training log, identifying training needs and organising mandatory training, alongside other PAs.
- Providing reception cover where necessary due to staff shortages
- Reviewing and updating administrative processes and practice procedures, contributing to high quality standards in the practice.
- Support the SMT in investigating and responding to complaints, maintain the complaints log and Significant Events log.
- Maintaining central filing system.
- Contributing to health and safety risk assessments and audits, reporting of accidents and ensuring health and safety rules and infection control rules are complied with.
- Working collaboratively with the PA team to support each other’s work areas and keep other members of the team updated, to ensure the practice runs smoothly and meets deadlines.
- Assisting and supporting on other projects as and when they arrive.
Knowledge and skills
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).