Lakeside Healthcare Group
The closing date is 17 July 2022
An exciting opportunity to join our forward thinking, teaching practice located in Cambridgeshire on the outskirts of Peterborough. We are looking to expanding our team with a Nurse Practitioner.
What we offer you (Benefits)
· Generous holidays (additional long service entitlements)
· NHS pension and continuous service entitlements
· NHS Discounts (Blue light card)
· Development opportunities
· Great team environment
· Lakeside Healthcare is proud to be a Living Wage employer
Main duties of the job
The purpose of the post is the delivery of safe, high quality primary care nursing services to the practice population. Working within the NMC Code of Conduct and utilising primary care skills and experience, the post holder will provide advanced nurse interventions and influence development of nursing services. Using evidence based knowledge; the post holder will deliver a high standard of care, making professionally autonomous and accountable decisions. The post holder will work within their professional boundaries to demonstrate safe clinical decision-making and cost-effective, expert care for patients within the practice. The post holder will support service development, the safe delivery of policy and procedures, and demonstrate effective nurse advocacy and leadership.
LAKESIDE HEALTHCARE is changing the face of primary care provision in England. We are bold, adventurous and ambitious and determined to thrive in uncertain times. We are the largest ‘true’ partnership in the NHS and operate from various sites across the East Midlands. We serve the healthcare needs of over 170,000 patients across Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire & Cambridgeshire. Joining our team presents an opportunity to be part of a large organisation that is changing the way primary care is delivered today.
About the Practice/Department/Team
Lakeside Healthcare at Yaxley is a well-established surgery with a list size of approximately 18,000 which is growing. We achieve full QOF points, and have been awarded the RCGP Quality Practice Award twice. The practice adopted a Doctor First access system in May 2012 for all GP and Nurse Practitioner/Emergency Care Practitioner appointments. Lead by a GP Partner, you would be joining our 5 Nurse practitioners/Emergency Care Practitioners in an overall Nursing/Pharmacy Team of 17 including, 6 Practice Nurses, 5 HCAs, a prescribing pharmacist and a pharmacy technician all working together to provide same day, first class primary care.
The purpose of the post is to deliver safe, high quality primary care nursing services to the practice population. Working within the NMC Code of Conduct and utilising primary care skills and experience, the post holder will provide advanced nurse interventions and influence development of nursing services. Using evidence based knowledge, the post holder will deliver a high standard of care, making professionally autonomous and accountable decisions. The post holder will work within their professional boundaries to demonstrate safe clinical decision-making and cost-effective, expert care for patients within the practice. The post holder will support service development, the safe delivery of policy and procedures, and demonstrate effective nurse advocacy and leadership.
Duties & Areas of Responsibility
Job Responsibilities/Principal Duties to include:
• Responsible for providing care for the presenting patient from initial history taking, clinical assessment, diagnosis, treatment and evaluation of their care
• Working collaboratively with the multi-disciplinary general practice team and other healthcare professionals, promote integrated and seamless pathways of care to meet the needs of patients.
• Communicates effectively with patients, carers and all members of the multidisciplinary team
• Prioritises daily work in line with clinical / patient need
• Maintains accurate and legible patient records in line with professional and organisational requirements – this includes contemporary paper records and electronic patient record system
• Implements and works to ensure evidence based care / best practice
• Actively participates and contributes to team meetings
• Initiates health promotion activities with individuals, patients and carers
• Actively involved in the development and implementation of service developments and initiatives
• Participates in clinical audit and the implementation of changes to ways of working and/or clinical practice as a result of findings, recommendations and action plans
• Participates in risk assessment and promotes the safety and well-being of patients, staff and any other persons at all times and assist in ensuring a safe work environment
• Ensure that all complaints, untoward incidents, accidents and areas of clinical risk are identified and reported to the lead GP, Nurse Manager or Practice Manager in accordance with the organisational policy and expected professional practice
• Keeps up to date with professional requirements, health care developments, clinical evidence, National Service Frameworks for practice, National and Local policy and guidelines
• Responsible for completing own mandatory training within the required timeframes
• Accesses and participates in regular clinical supervision and peer review
• Participate in own annual appraisal and undertakes continuing professional development in order to maintain and develop knowledge and skills
• Undertake mentorship training, facilitate the teaching and learning experiences for all students and staff
• Accountable for own professional actions in line with the NMC code and organisational policy and guidelines
• Monitors and orders stock levels and equipment in line with budget and lean principles
• Responsible for the security, care and maintenance of equipment ensuring standards of infection control and safety are maintained
Specific duties include:
Diagnosing and treating patients presenting with Acute/Minor Illness:
• Triage and treat patients wishing to see a health care professional making any necessary referrals to other members of the primary health care team. This includes:
•Taking a history, making a physical examination, problem-solving and clinical decision-making, establishing a diagnosis and management plan which may include the initiation of diagnostic tests or investigations, the interpretation of findings/reports, the prescribing of safe, effective and appropriate medication
• Advise patients on general health care and minor ailments with referral to other members of the primary and secondary health care team as necessary
• Ensure clinical practice is safe and effective and remains within boundaries of competence and to acknowledge limitations.
Providing assessment, screening & treatment services and health education advice:
• including Dietary advice, blood pressure checks, urinalysis, health screening, Ear syringing, dressings, ECG, Phlebotomy, routine injections, sexual health, contraception, minor injuries, routine immunisations and vaccinations, removal of sutures / clips, baby immunisations, assisting with the fitting of IUCD / IUS, first registration checks / health surveillance / general health advice, assisting with minor procedures in the treatment room
• Provide general and specific health screenings to the practice patients (within agreed protocols) with referral to other members of the primary and secondary health care team as necessary
Chronic Disease Management:
• Support the patients and Practice Clinical Team by providing Chronic Disease Management services clinics focusing on Asthma, COPD, CHD, Diabetes,
Hypertension and Stroke. Work in accordance with Practice protocols to ensure the safe and effective management of patients with Chronic Diseases.
Pathological specimens and investigatory procedures:
• Undertake the collection of pathological specimens including intravenous blood samples, swabs etc. Perform investigatory procedures requested by the GPs
Other administration and professional responsibilities:
• Record accurate consultation data in patients records in accordance with the latest NMC guidance and other pertinent standards
• Maintain professional registration and practice in accordance with NMC requirements
• To provide clinical support and leadership within the practice, participate in clinical supervision, act as mentor and support for other nurses and students
• Attend and participate in nurse meetings
• Ensure collection and maintenance of any required statistical information
Training and personal development:
• Actively participate in the education and training of students of all disciplines and the introduction of all members of the practice staff where appropriate
• Maintain professional portfolio and ensure professional requirements are met.
• If it is necessary to expand the role to include additional responsibilities, full training will be given.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Lakeside Healthcare Group
For questions about the job, contact:
17 June 2022
£38,890 to £54,085 a year