Hastings House Medical Centre
This job is now closed
A position has arisen for an enthusiastic, caring and motivated individual to undertake the role of a part-time Practice Nurse and join are friendly, well organised and professional team.
Do you thrive on being part of a forward thinking, highly motivated supportive team who are continually looking at ways to improve standards of care for patients?
Main duties of the job
The candidate should have core knowledge and skills of management in Asthma, Childhood Immunisations, travel and other vaccinations, wound management, INR's, and cervical screening plus other enhanced services.
The Candidate should have the ability to work in a team, have good IT skills and strive to work for continuous improvement in their working role.
The candidate should be able to treat patients with dignity respect and compassion.
We are a forward thinking and innovative practice with a dynamic team made up of GP's, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Pharmacists, Practice Nurses, Health Care Assistants, Patient Services advisors, Pharmacy Technicians, Dispensers and more. We all work hard to provide clinical excellence and train the clinicians of our future.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meeting patients nursing care needs as identified, this will usually be in surgery but occasional home visits will be required.
- Initiating and maintain health screening and promotion clinics for identified areas of the practice population, recognising where modification of systems or referral is necessary.
- Important part of the role, knowledge of the GMS Contract and Quality and Outcomes Framework is a vital element to the post.
- Strive to improve standards of care and be involved in identifying practice population needs.
To provide a timely professional service, whether in person or on the phone, be empathetic and compassionate creating an environment of trust for our patients
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTITES
- Assist GPs - help deliver effective implementation of management of pts with chronic diseases as detailed by the Quality and Outcomes framework. .
- Support the implementation of evidence-based guidelines in conjunction with the practice nursing team.
- Encourage the development of integrated services within Primary Care to include integrated practice based teams and multidisciplinary working.
- Promote your own continuing professional development.
- Recognise the opportunities for working in partnership with the Primary Health care team.
- Participate in an annual appraisal
- Support the practice in achieving quality indicators and targets of the GMS contract and any relevant National Service Frameworks.
- Experience in Chronic Disease Management of Asthma
- Undertake opportunistic screening when clinically required.
- Perform venepuncture and electrocardiography and INRs
- Undertake wound care/ management/dressing techniques.
- Leg ulcer management, Dopplers and compression bandaging.
- Perform cervical screening and promote breast awareness.
- Administer adult and paediatric injections under an individualised prescription or Patient Group Direction, ensuring safe storage, rotation and disposal of vaccines and drugs.
- Provide advice on lifestyle issues, assist and support patients in changing their unhealthy behaviours and refer appropriately.
- Provide an adult and childhood immunisation service working to Patient Group Directions - following appropriate training if required.
- Deliver travel health care, including vaccinations and advice for patients - following appropriate training if required.
- Recognise the signs of child abuse, family violence, vulnerable adults, substance abuse, addictive behaviours, and suicidal tendencies and be aware of local, referral procedures.
- Ensure that current evidence based approaches to patient are standard practice
- Apply infection control measures when collecting and handling of laboratory specimens, disposing of waste materials, dealing with blood and body fluids spillages and report and treat sharps injuries.
- Undertake first aid and management of emergencies, eg burns, haemorrhage, hypo/hyperglycaemic emergencies/asthma attacks.
- Undertake annual training and demonstrates competency in anaphylaxis and resuscitation techniques
Adhering to all practice policies and procedures
Maintaining a clean, safe and secure work environment
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).