Eden Medical Group
This job is now closed
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a hardworking, loyal, flexible, established team in a busy and diverse GP practice with over 15,000 patients.
This position is aimed at those who wish to be part of a supportive and friendly team working together to help shape the future of General Practice.
Main duties of the job
Based at Eden Medical Group in Carlisle you will work as part of a team responsible for delivering a high quality, patient focussed, efficient service as the first point of contact for our patients. You will be expected to demonstrate excellent communication / customer skills and show empathy when required. You will be proficient in IT and able to work in a busy, challenging environment.
NCPC Ltd is an innovative not for profit social enterprise, established to create a network of great practices that sustains and supports the development of general practice across the local area. We enable our member general practices to continue to operate as local family practices with the benefit of a large and robust infrastructure to provide support.
We want our practices to become wellbeing practices, actively closing the gaps around mortality and morbidity. The ethos of the company is one of collaboration, learning and continuous improvement.
The purpose of the role is to:
To provide a high standard of service and patient care at all times in a professional, efficient and caring manner
Offer general assistance to the practice team and project a positive professional and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone
Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, caring efficient and effective way
To ensure all telephone calls are answered within specified timescale as per the practice standards/policy and dealt with in accordance with the urgency of the call
Receive and make telephone calls as required, divert calls and take messages, ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt appropriate delivery.
Undertake a variety of administrative duties to assist in the smooth running of the practice, including the provision of clerical support to clinical staff and other members of the practice team
Facilitate effective communication between patients, members of the primary health care team, secondary care and other associated healthcare agencies
The image of the practice must be adhered to by wearing the uniform provided by the practice
The nature of our business means that you must be flexible in your approach to work, in order to provide a service to our patients
To assist and cover the reception desk at peak times and during extended access when the Practice opens late on an evening, this will include lone working
To provide holiday and sickness cover for Admin staff as required
To take responsibility and fulfil all duties required to complete the job role to contribute to the sustainability of the practice
Main duties and responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities to be undertaken by members of the practice administration team may include any or all of the items in the following list. Duties may be varied from time to time under the direction of the office supervisor, Service Delivery Lead and GPs, dependent on current and evolving practice workload and staffing levels:
- Opening up/locking up of practice premises and maintaining security in accordance with practice protocols
- Enter requests for home visits into the visit book and Emis Web ensuring accurate recording of all relevant details and where necessary refer to the Duty Doctor or Duty Helper
- Prepare lists and notes for all surgeries and clinics held ensuring completion of all associated paperwork
- Ensure an effective and efficient reception service is provided to patients and any other visitors to the practice
- Deal with all general enquiries, explain procedures and make new and follow-up appointments.
- Using your own judgement and communication skills ensure that patients with no prior appointment but who need urgent consultation are seen in a logical and non-disruptive manner.
- Explain practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those seeking temporary cover and ensure procedures are completed
- Ensure that all new patients are registered onto the computer system promptly and accurately
- Receive and make telephone calls as required. Divert calls and take messages, ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt appropriate delivery
- Advise patients of relevant charges for private (non-General Medical Services) services, accept payment and issue receipts
- Enter and confirm patient information accurately, on to the computer as required
- Access patient medical records to book appointments and manage patient queries, enter accurate admin notes using Emis Web
- Complete tasks on Emis web to communicate to patients, colleagues and healthcare professionals
- Keep the health care team informed of any matters arising as necessary, or as requested by other members of the health care team
- Keep the Office Supervisor and Service Delivery Lead informed of any matters arising or problems/potential problems
- Ensure all Visitors sign in our Visitors book and collect the book upon your departure of the building, in the event of an evacuation
- Processing and distributing incoming (and outgoing) mail
- Taking messages and passing on information
- Filing and retrieving paperwork, scanning of medical records
- To complete general administration duties including note summarising, faxing, photocopying and franking mail/postal duties as required
- Processing repeat prescriptions in accordance with practice guidelines
- Computer data entry/data allocation and collation; processing and recording information in accordance with practice procedures
- Initiating contact with and responding to requests from patients, other team member and associated healthcare agencies and providers
- Clearing and re-stocking of consulting rooms as required
- Dealing with clinical waste and carry out emergency cleaning as required
- Provision of refreshments for staff and visitors as required and general housekeeping duties
- Maintain the reception area, notice-boards and leaflet dispensers tidy and free from obstructions and clutter
- Undertake any other additional duties commensurate to the post as requested by the Partners, the Senior Management Team and Office Supervisor
- You will be required to work late evenings to provide cover for extended access, weekends and bank holidays and to cover 7 day operation as requested subject to the business needs
- You will be required to attend training sessions at other locations which are relevant to the job role.
Knowledge and skills
Qualities and attributes
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Eden Medical Group
For questions about the job, contact:
22 June 2021
£8.91 an hour