Health Care Assistant
New Horizons Medical Partnership
This job is now closed
We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Heath Care Assistant to join our forward thinking and friendly nursing team.
The successful applicant must be prepared to work at either of our two surgery sites, Totton Health Centre or Forest Gate Surgery, both based in Totton, Southampton.
This vacancy is for 16 - 32 hours per week (08:30/09:00am - 18:00pm) over 4 - 8 sessions (working days negotiable). Some evening and Saturday work on a rota basis.
IMPORTANT NOTE: As an NHS employer, all mandatory regulations on COVID vaccinations will apply.
Main duties of the job
Reporting in the first instance to the Nursing Team Staff Lead, the successful candidate for this role will be proficient in basic dressing skills, NHS Health Checks and Phlebotomy. NVQ Level 3 in Health and Social care is preferable or a Care Certificate, however, in-house training may be offered for the right candidate.
You should have excellent administrative and communication skills and the ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team. Good knowledge of Microsoft packages is advantageous as is previous Rota Management and Stock Control/inventory knowledge.
Please see the Job Description for a full list of duties and responsibilities.
We are a two-site partnership with a practice population of circa 25,000 patients.
Benefits applying to this post include: NHS Pension, 6 weeks holiday p.a. pro-rata and Simplyhealth membership (after successful completion of probationary period).
Informal practice visits are welcome.
Closing Date: Sunday 18 September 2022 (11.59pm). Interviews are scheduled to be held on Tuesday 20 September 2022, however, please do not delay applying for this vacancy as some interviews may be held prior to the closing date if suitable applications are received.
The duties and responsibilities to be undertaken by members of the nursing team are varied and will differ from time to time under the direction of the Lead Clinical Practitioner / Partners / Practice Manager, dependent on current and evolving Practice workload and staffing levels:
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times
- To collect blood samples from patients as per practice policy.
- To have an understanding of wound management and be able to undertake dressings and removal of sutures as deemed suitable by trained nurse on duty.
- To undertake tasks such as ECGs, Dopplers, injection of B12, Pneumococcal and Influenza Vaccine once received appropriate training.
- To undertake monthly drug audit, check the expiry dates of all drugs in practice and ensure stock rotation.
- To undertake opportunistic screening such as BP, BMI, smoking status.
- To undertake Health Care checks.
- To encourage health promotion and lifestyle changes where appropriate.
- To recognise signs of child and adult abuse and report to Lead Nurse.
- To input information on the practices IT system.
- Ensure effective communication with others to enable the delivery of patient focused care.
- To report any error or complaint in accordance with practice guidelines.
- Any other tasks that may be deemed necessary from time to time and are appropriate to the training given/received in the role of Phlebotomist/Health Care Assistant
- To assist with Stock Control/Inventory for the Nursing Team
- Use NHS Systems in order to input data and support daily activities e.g. EMIS Web, Docman etc. (Training will be provided)
- To liaise with other members of NHMP staff as appropriate e.g. IT, Care Co-ordinators, GPs etc.
- To attend Team meetings
- To carry out any other tasks deemed suitable for the grade
This vacancy is for 16 - 24 hours per week (08:30/09:00am - 18:00pm) over 4 - 6 sessions (working days negotiable). Some evening and Saturday work on a rota basis.
Other Areas of Responsibility
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.