Fixed Term Salaried Doctor/Maternity Cover Locum
New Horizons Medical Partnership
This job is now closed
We are a happy, highly motivated and forward-thinking GMS Partnership with two practice premises in Totton, Hampshire looking for a fixed term Salaried GP to provide maternity cover. Contract will be for up to 9 months with potential to be extended, covering 4 to 6 sessions per week.
The Partnership has an overall list size of circa 25,000 and we operate a full complement of treatment room services.
You will be expected to work at any of the New Horizons Totton sites. Totton is a semi-rural town, very close to the New Forest. It has a varied patient base and easy access to motorway links to London, Southampton City Centre, Portsmouth, the West Country and the Continent.
Salary and benefits package will be competitive.
Interviews are scheduled to be held week commencing 19 September 2022 however, if suitable applications are received, interviews may be held prior to the closing date and the position may be closed earlier than advertised.
IMPORTANT NOTE: As an NHS employer, all mandatory regulations on COVID vaccinations will apply.
Main duties of the job
Duties to include holding a patient list, participating in the Duty Doctor rota, nursing and care home visits and all necessary paperwork associated with holding a list.
In line with the practice timetable, you will also make yourself available to undertake a variety of duties including surgery consultations, telephone consultations/queries, visiting patients at home, checking/signing repeat prescriptions and dealing with queries, paperwork and correspondence in a timely fashion.
You also are/have:
- A fully qualified GP with GMC registration
- On the Medical Performers List
- A current Enhanced DBS Check
- UK Driving Licence (if appropriate to post)
- UK Work Permit (if required)
- Appropriate current Medical Indemnity cover
- Current CPR Certificate- Safeguarding Training to national level required
- Evidence of continued professional development
We work closely with our neighbouring practices exploring new models of care & are participating in the Primary Care Network incentive.
We enjoy good locum feedback, effective working with our community teams & regular meetings with allied services. We have:
- 11 Clinical Partners, 1 Managing Partner, 9 Salaried Doctors & 1 University Associate Professor
- Excellent multi-disciplinary team
- Four Advanced Nurse Practitioners/Paramedic Practitioners
- Specialist Nurse led clinics
- Efficient & helpful Reception/Administration teams
- CQC Compliant with a 'Good' rating
- Consistently high QOF achievement
- Active involvement with the local ICB and primary care network
- GP Training Practice; Several ex-Registrars are now Salaried Doctors or Partners with us
- Medical Student & Graduate training
- Active programme of piloting local initiatives
- Research - recently signed up as a Level 1 site with the NIHR CRN Wessex - we are keen to develop a research focus
- EMIS Clinical System & E Consult
- Regular Salaried Doctor meetings
The post-holder will be responsible for managing a patient list and will carry out all associated clinical and administrative work nationally associated and accepted as being part of managing a patient list. This will entail dealing with a wide range of health needs in a primary care setting, ensuring the highest standards of care for all registered and temporary patients.
In addition, the post holder will be expected to:
- Make professional, autonomous decisions in relation to presenting problems, whether self-referred or referred from other health care workers within the organisation
- Assess the health care needs of patients with undifferentiated and undiagnosed problems
- Screen patients for disease risk factors and early signs of illness
- In consultation with patients and in line with current practice disease management protocols, develop care plans for health
- Provide counselling and health education
- Admit or discharge patients to and from the caseload referring to other care providers as appropriate
- Record clear and contemporaneous consultation notes to agreed standards
- Collect data for audit purposes
- Compile and issue computer-generated acute and repeat prescriptions (avoiding hand-written prescriptions whenever possible)
- Prescribe in accordance with the practice prescribing formulary (or generically) whenever this is clinically appropriate
- Contribute to the attainment of all quality indicators (QOF) and any local or national initiative that the practice takes part in
- Complete insurance and other medical reports as required
- Generally, the post-holder will be expected to undertake all normal clinical duties and responsibilities associated with a GP working within primary care.
Other Areas of Responsibility (See separate Job Description)
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).