Women & Child Health Practitioner
Portsdown Group Practice
This job is now closed
Portsdown Group Practice is a friendly, forward thinking, well established GP Practice supporting 58,000 patients across 6 sites in Portsmouth. We are currently looking for an experienced Women and Child Health Nurse/Midwife to join our growing Nursing Team. If you can work, sometimes under pressure, to high standards, are flexible and reliable, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and can deliver a high quality of care in a busy professional environment, we would like to hear from you.
Main duties of the job
This an exciting opportunity to shape and develop a Women and Child health role within Portsdown Group Practice. The post holder will be a caring, compassionate and committed experienced practitioner who, acting within their professional boundaries, will provide care for women and children, the role has a wide scope and will include carrying out NIPE checks with GP support, child and baby immunisations, providing contraception advice, menopause advice with the opportunity to create a menopause clinic. There are further development opportunities to progress the role and take part in telephone triage and urgent on the day appointments, this can be a developmental role and training provided as needed.
The post holder will demonstrate safe, competent clinical decision-making and expert care, including assessment and diagnostic skills, for women and children within the general practice.
Portsdown Group Practice covers the whole of Portsmouth from postcode PO1 to PO7. The Practice operates out of 6 surgeries: Cosham Park House (PO6 3BG), Crookhorn Lane (PO7 5XP), Heyward Road (PO4 0DY), Kingston Crescent (PO2 8AL), Paulsgrove (PO6 4HJ), and Somerstown (PO5 4EZ).
We are our own Primary Care Network (PCN). We have Clinical Partners, Salaried GPs and a comprehensive Nursing and extended clinical team overseen by our Clinical Team Manager. The team consists of Nurse / Paramedic Practitioners, Registered Nurses, HCA’s, MSK Physiotherapists, Podiatrist, Dietitian, Social Prescribers and Care Co-ordinators. The Pharmacy team consists of Clinical Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians and Pre-Registration Trainee Pharmacy Technician.
The Practice is well established, financially secure and successful. Over the last few years we have earned maximum QOF points.
We were selected for a random monitoring assessment in December 2021 as part of the new CQC processes which was successful.
- Following completion of an accredited NIPE course, carry out 6-8 week baby and mother checks with GP support
- Administration of immunisations to include, all baby and childhood immunisation as per the recommended schedule.
- Assess, diagnose, plan, implement and evaluate treatment/interventions and care for patients presenting with women’s health and family planning needs.
- Creation of a menopause clinic following accredited menopause training (for example FSRH Special Skills Modules in Menopause), discuss and agree a plan of management with the woman, including initiating treatment and medication reviews for therapeutic effectiveness, appropriate to patient needs and in accordance with evidence-based practice and national and practice protocols, and within scope of practice. Potential to undertake Non-Medical prescribing course.
- Review and reassess symptoms, side-effects of any medication, and adjust treatment plan or carry out onward referral as appropriate.
- Request and interpret appropriate investigations to assist with diagnosis to include bloods following completion of appropriate training
- Following completion of the FSRH Diploma, undertake consultations to discuss options and provide contraception advice, review of patients following these interventions, and commencement of contraception following consultation.
- Undertake insertion of IUD and perform coil checks following insertion following accredited training.
- Insertion of contraceptive implants following accredited training
- Provision of emergency contraception
- Insertion of pessary rings
- Work with patients in order to support compliance with and adherence to prescribed treatments
- Provide information and advice on prescribed or over-the-counter medication on medication regimens, side-effects and interactions
- Development opportunities to assess, diagnose and treat common baby conditions such as reflux
- Undertake cervical cytology
- Further development potential to create a gynae clinic / urgent on the day appointments
- Ensure clinical records are maintained and use appropriate Read Codes where necessary
- Undertake home visits on housebound and limited mobility patients
- Deliver and exceed Practice targets, such as QOF
- Fulfil requirements for maintaining professional registration
- Be prepared to undertake general treatment room duties i.e. basic dressings and injectable medication as required by the Practice
- Adhere to current Practice and national safeguarding guidelines
- Assess the presence of postnatal depression and refer as required
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Portsdown Group Practice
For questions about the job, contact:
27 April 2022
£50,212 to £56,550 a year