Portsdown Group Practice
This job is now closed
Do you thrive in a busy working environment?
Do you get job satisfaction from helping people?
Can you give excellent attention to detail whilst juggling a variety of tasks?
If this describes you to a tee, then we want to hear from you! We are offering a rewarding role as a Medical Receptionist across our Cosham and Paulsgrove sites.
Working within a supportive team of highly trained and experienced colleagues and led by an on-site Team Leader, we can provide full training for you to realise your potential.
If you believe you have what it takes to work under pressure in a fast paced environment let us know. Working in General Practice can be fun!
Main duties of the job
The 21 hour a week role will be split between our popular Cosham Park House Surgery and our smaller Paulsgrove Surgery. Daily tasks will include greeting patients on arrival, booking patient appointments in a timely manner, stock control, assisting GPs and other clinicians with administration tasks, ensuring Health and Safety checks are completed all whilst maintaining a professional manner and treating all visitors to the Surgery with respect and dignity.
Portsdown Group Practice covers the whole of Portsmouth from postcodes PO1 to PO7. We operate from 6 surgeries: Cosham Park House (PO6 3BG), Crookhorn Lane (PO7 5XP, Heyward Road (PO4 0DY), Kingston Crescent (PO2 8AL), Paulsgrove (PO6 4HJ), and Somerstown (PO5 4EZ).
We are our own Primary Care Network (PCN). We have Clinical Partners, Salaried GPs and a comprehensive Nursing and extended clinical team overseen by our Clinical Team Manager. The team consists of Nurse / Paramedic Practitioners, Registered Nurses, HCA’s, MSK Physiotherapists, Podiatrist, Dietitian, Social Prescribers and Care Co-ordinators. The Pharmacy team consists of Clinical Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians and Pre-Registration Trainee Pharmacy Technician.
The Practice is well established, financially secure and successful. Over the last few years, we have earned maximum QOF points.
We were selected for a random monitoring assessment in December 2021 as part of the new CQC processes which was successful.
Responsible To: Surgery Team Leader
Main Purpose of the Post:
To provide high quality reception and general office/administration tasks, relating to the practice’s provision of excellent primary healthcare, and the smooth, effective running of the practice.
Duties & Responsibilities of the Post:
- Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional
- Maintaining and monitoring the practice appointments system
- Offer general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone
- Deal with all general enquiries
- Facilitate effective communication between patients, members of the primary health care team, secondary care and other associated healthcare agencies
- Register new patients to the practice onto the Clinical System.
- Promote online services and eConsultation to patients
- Advise patients of relevant charges for private services
- Take payment and issue receipts for any chargeable services and ensuring accurate record keeping
- Receive and disseminate incoming mail as appropriate
- Ensure any safeguarding report requests are passed to the appropriate clinician in a timely manner
- Open/Close premises in line with procedure – including activation/deactivation of alarm.
- Ensure the premises are completely secure. Report any security issues accordingly.
- Receiving deliveries and ensuring paperwork is forwarded accordingly
- Carry out regular and necessary health and safety checks within the practice, record and report any relevant findings
· As per both Government legislation and Practice Policies ensure that all confidentiality, data protection and information governance policies and guidelines are followed and strictly adhered to, reporting any infringements to the Operations Office immediately.
Health & Safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice Health & Safety policy. Employees must be aware of the responsibilities placed upon them under the Health & Safety at work Act 1974, to ensure that the agreed safety procedures are carried out to maintain a safe working environment for patients , visitors and employees.
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, by carrying out his / her responsibilities with regards to the Practice’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the Practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual staff performance review.
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work.
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the Practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk.
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision.
- Actively participate in induction and training of new staff at site
Communication / Information:
The post-holder should recognise the importance of effective communication within the practice and management team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members.
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers.
- Recognise people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
Contribution to the Implementation of Services:
The post-holder will:
- Apply practice policies, standards and guidance
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
- Participate in audit where appropriate
Any other delegated duties considered appropriate to the post.
This job description is not intended to be exhaustive, but to indicate the main areas of responsibility. It may be changed after consultation with the post holder. The employee shares with the employer the responsibility for review and modification of duties. Suggestions and discussions are welcome.
Policies and Procedures - the duties and responsibilities of the post will be undertaken in accordance with the policies, procedures and practices of the Practice, which may be amended from time to time.
The business operates between the hours of 0700 – 2100 hours Monday to Friday (0800 – 1300 Saturday), with possible requirement for some future evening and weekend working as the business develops.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Portsdown Group Practice
For questions about the job, contact:
16 May 2022
£10 an hour