Coastal Medical Partnership
This job is now closed
Coastal Medical Partnership is a newly formed group of GP surgeries serving 34,000 patients across 5 sites in Barton on Sea, New Milton & Lymington in Hampshire.
We are looking for a part time Medical Secretary to work in our Arnewood site. We can offer a friendly and welcoming work environment & benefits package.
Main duties of the job
- To provide an efficient and accurate typing and referral service for GPs and health professionals as required, using paper-based systems as well as electronic support such as e-referrals, DXS, and iGPR
- To manage and assist the completion of medical/insurance records.
- To receive incoming and initiate outgoing telephone calls in order to facilitate timely and appropriate communications with others, taking messages and dealing with appropriate queries.
- To provide cover for members of the secretarial team during periods of sickness and annual leave.
- To Process and code post and electronic letters including out of hours reports and SCAS 111s.
Coastal Medical Partnership has a skilled and experienced team of 25 GP Partners leading a team of 140 staff.The practice is therefore well placed to be at the forefront of general practice, provide innovative and robust services, as well as provide development opportunities for the staff.
Although we are a large team, we work in 4 different 'pods', retaining the traditional 'family GP' elements within each of the individual buildings.
To provide general secretarial support to the Doctors and health professionals involving word processing with general clerical work.
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health & safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others health, safety and security as defined in the practice Health & Safety policy, the practice Health & Safety manual, and the practice Infection Control policy and published procedures. This will include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Actively reporting of health and safety hazards and infection hazards immediately when recognised
- Keeping own work areas and general / patient areas generally clean, assisting in the maintenance of general standards of cleanliness consistent with the scope of the job holders role
- Undertaking periodic infection control training (minimum annually)
- Reporting potential risks identified
Equality and Diversity / Safeguarding
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of peoples rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will also ensure that Safeguarding of both vulnerable adults and all children is always at the forefront of their daily routine, to include:
- Understanding and looking out for any safeguarding concerns that may occur.
- Reporting these concerns to the appropriate person or persons.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the teams performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognize peoples needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Contribution to the implementation of services:
The post-holder will:
- Apply practice policies, standards and guidance
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
- Participate in audit where appropriate
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Coastal Medical Partnership
19 April 2021
£9 to £9.25 an hour