This job is now closed
We are looking for a Dispenser Manager to join our busy dispensary team that delivers a high level of customer service and patient care to our dispensing patients. To oversee and manage the dispensers to ensure patients receive a responsive, professional and safe service whilst maximising the dispensarys profitability.
Responsible for our team of dispensers, This is a role which will suit an experienced dispenser seeking to an opportunity to utilise their leadership and management skills.
Hours to be worked over a 4-5 day week. Exact working pattern to be agreed.
Main duties of the job
To take overall responsibility for the day-to-day management of the dispensary team, ensuring adequate staffing is in place, generating rotas and approving annual leave with the Practice Manager. To be involved in the recruitment of new dispensers, organising and overseeing the induction and successful integration of new members of staff and conduct annual appraisals for the dispensary team.
You will assist in the smooth running of services such as dispensing and prescription management. Duty patterns are variable but the practice core hours are from 7.45-6.30pm Monday to Friday. Attend management team meetings and to take an active role as part of the practices management team. Meet wholesale account managers, ensuring the Groups profitability is maximised, maintain cost effective supplies of those drugs that are purchased centrally on behalf of the Practice.
Oversee the procedures for stock ordering and stock control/rotation. Also to consider which medicines/appliances that should not be dispensed due to making a significant loss, devise and explain to each dispenser/dispensary the mechanisms for ordering from the central supplies.
Oversee the month end process, ensuring returns are sent by the deadline date, to ensure that collated information is received to ensure and maintain effective distribution of dispensing supplies to each surgery (multisite practice).
To organise and chair and produce Minutes for the monthly dispensary meetings.
The Surgery is located in the town of Leiston, on the Suffolk Coast. We have a branch surgery in the nearby village of Yoxford. The practice looks after approximately 9200 patients with high patient satisfaction ratings and an ever- increasing practice list size.
The Leiston Surgery boasts a friendly and supportive atmosphere, creating a strong team spirit. The five GP partners all have special interests and actively encourage the clinical team to develop their own skills. The Clinical Team currently consists of a Physician Associate, two Practice Nurses, three Health Care Assistants, a Paramedic Practitioner, Nurse Prescriber,Clinical Pharmacist, Social Prescribing Team, Physiotherapists and a Mental Health Link Worker.
- To ensure all staff keep up to date with their training requirements, particularly in order to comply with DSQS (Dispensing Quality Scheme) requirements. To organise a programme of training to take place at dispensary meetings.
- To oversee the DSQS, ensuring that the Group undertakes all the necessary tasks in order to achieve the financial reward.
- To attend management team meetings and to take an active role as part of the practices management team.
- To organise, chair and produce Minutes for the monthly dispensary meetings.
- To ensure all near misses are recorded and discussed at dispenser meetings. Also to ensure that significant events are reported and discussed at dispenser meetings.
- To be responsible for the commercial buying of drugs and surgery sundries for the Practice. To gain information and negotiate sales terms from pharmaceutical companies and/or their representatives concerning the commercial details of their products.
- To meet wholesale account managers, ensuring the Groups profitability is maximised.
- To maintain cost effective supplies of those drugs that are purchased centrally on behalf of the Practice.
- To oversee the procedures for stock ordering and stock control/rotation. Also to consider which medicines/appliances etc. should not be dispensed due to making a significant loss.
- To devise and explain to each dispenser/dispensary the mechanisms for ordering from the central supplies.
- To oversee the month end process, ensuring returns are sent by the deadline date, to ensure that collated information is received.
- To ensure and maintain effective distribution of dispensing supplies to each surgery (multisite practice).
- To focus efforts to the maximum benefit of the Practice with respect to the policy decisions made from time to time by the Practice.
- To represent the Practice, if required in the ICB and liaise with the ICB prescribing team.
- To oversee the regular updating of SOPs, ensuring all staff work within the agreed procedures at all times.
- To ensure that all dispensaries are tidy, organised and provide a suitable working environment for staff, particularly in respect of safe dispensing and health and safety requirements.
- To complete monthly audits for room and fridge temperatures, date checking, uncontrolled prescription and CD stock check.
- To check the controlled drug register at least monthly (via the software), reporting any discrepancies to the Medicines Management Lead or Practice Manager
- To oversee the work of the Prescription delivery driver to ensure they comply with agreed protocols and provide patients with a safe and effective service. Update the SOPs for prescription deliveries to ensure compliance with best practice and pharmaceutical regulations.
Dispensing NHS prescriptions for dispensing patients and temporary residents, as well as private prescriptions, to all patients registered at the Group, as required by the Partners. Handlings cash and checking exemption certificates in relation to this and advising patients on the use/compliance of drugs as necessary.
- To ensure that administrative standards are maintained in respect of the post holders dispensing duties.
- To be responsible for the purchase of pharmaceutical supplies and stock control.
- To provide pharmaceutical advice to practice staff and the partners as appropriate.
- Providing a repeat prescription service which includes taking requests by telephone, email, SystemOne and repeat slips.
- Adding to and/or amending patients SystemOne medication record, as advised by doctors, e.g. discharge and hospital letters.
- Keeping the dispensary clean, tidy and secure in order to run efficiently.
- Maintaining adequate stock levels of drugs within the dispensary, ordering as required (paying attention to costing) and checking all invoices against stock received. Rotating stock to ensure short-dated lines are used first.
- Keeping up to date with drugs changes and advancements, sharing useful information with the dispensary and clinical teams.
- Processing MDS blister packs for those patients in need, as well as for nursing homes.
- Maintaining up to date records of controlled drugs.
- Ensuring prescriptions are endorsed correctly, overleaf completed by patient, counted, recorded and filed ready to be sent to the PPA for reimbursement at the end of each month.
- Maintaining good communications with other members of the Group to maximise benefits to patients.
- Providing cover for holidays, sickness and extended hours to ensure continuation of the dispensing service.
- Taking part in annual performance and development reviews.