Ruby Country Medical Group
This job is now closed
We have an exciting opportunity for a phlebotomist to join our busy, friendly team.
The role's duties will include taking blood samples and blood pressure readings from patients.
The successful candidate will join our nursing team and will be offered training. Previous experience preferred but not essential.
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will work under the direct supervision of the practice nurse lead and strictly in accordance with specific practice guidelines and protocols.
The successful candidate will be responsible for performing venepuncture to obtain blood samples from patients only as the result of a direct referral from a GP or nurse practitioner.
We are a thriving and innovative Medical Group bringing together Holsworthy, Stratton and Hatherleigh Medical Centres. We see patients at all three sites and have a team that includes GPs, a Clinical Pharmacist, paramedics, nurse practitioners, practice nurses, health care assistants and phlebotomists as well as our practice management and administrative support and patient services teams. In addition we also have access to social prescribers, first contact physiotherapists and mental health practitioners through the local Primary Care Network.
With such a comprehensive range of roles within our team we are able to offer timely and innovative support to our 28,000 patients across 3 practices.
Work life balance is important to us and we are ideally placed on the North Devon/North Cornwall border for many outdoor activities including surfing or sea pool swimming at Bude, hiking on Dartmoor or the south west coastal path.
- Ensuring that the patient is as comfortable and relaxed as possible and confirming their agreement to the collection of a blood sample
- Collection of sample(s) of blood in accordance with training and procedures
- Ensuring samples are stored in appropriate containers
- Accurate, legible labelling of all samples to confirm patient identity
- Checking patient identification against GP/nurse request and confirming with patient whenever possible
- Recording collection of blood sample in patient record in accordance with practice procedure
- Ensuring that samples are dispatched to the appropriate laboratories in a timely fashion.
- Ensuring that anomalies are reported to a senior member of staff
- Notifying the GP/nurse of any significant patient issues
- Taking Blood Pressure readings and height/weight measurements as requested.
- Liaising with and assisting members of the administrative team
Knowledge, Skills and Additional Criteria
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Ruby Country Medical Group
For questions about the job, contact:
19 January 2022
£9.45 an hour 36 hours per week