Health Care Assistant
Canterbury Medical Practice
This job is now closed
The Health Care Assistant (HCA) role is an integral part of the General Practice team and you will be part of a supportive and professional nursing team, working under the direct supervision of the Practice Nurses and strictly in accordance with specific Practice guidelines and protocols.
The HCA will assist the Practice clinical team in the provision and delivery of prescribed programmes of patient care within their scope of practice.
The Practice will support the continuing education and professional development of the HCA in the form of attendance at study days, courses and with in-house training, as deemed appropriate for the benefit of both the individual and the Practice.
It will be necessary to hold a full driving licence and to have own transport to travel between the practice sites.
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will be required to do the following:
- Patient health checks
- ECG recording
- Chaperoning duties
- Ear irrigation
- BP checks
- 24 hour BP monitor fittings
- Stock checks and ordering for pathology lab supplies
- Processing laboratory samples requested by GPs/Nurses
- Vaccine/cold chain storage, monitoring and recording
- Checking and re-stocking consulting rooms
- Preparing and maintaining environments and equipment before, during and after patient care interventions including assisting GPs
- Assisting in the assessment and surveillance of patients health and well-being
- Undertaking specific clinical activities for named patients that have been delegated and taught specifically in relation to that individual
- Helping to raise awareness of health and well-being and how it can be promoted
- Assisting with the collection and collation of data on needs related to health and well-being
- Assist GP in minor operations which include LARC contraceptive fittings.
- Any other duties commensurate with the role of Healthcare Assistant.
Canterbury Medical Practice's priority is to provide the highest standard of clinical care to over 23,000 patients registered with the Practice. We aim to work collaboratively with other healthcare providers and support organisations, to enable more patients to be treated in a primary care setting, closer to home. We embrace a continuous improvement ethos and strive to ensure that we are available to patients when they determine they need a consultation. We have a holistic approach to patient care and a strong training ethos within the practice with medical and non-medical educators as well as opportunities for non-clinical staff to develop and progress.
We aim to:
provide high quality clinical care
meet our patients needs
act with integrity and complete confidentiality
be courteous, approachable, friendly and accommodating
ensure we provide safe and effective services and environments
to put patient care at the centre of what we do
to maintain a motivated and skilled workforce
use feedback, monitoring and auditing to continuously improve our services
treat all patients and staff with dignity, respect and honesty
The full job description and person specification for the role of Health Care Assistant can be viewed in the attachment