Rothwell & Desborough Healthcare Group
This job is now closed
We are looking for a friendly and approachable person to join us at our busy GP surgery. You will need to be an effective team player, cope well under pressure, demonstrate good organisational skills and be able offer a high level of customer service. The surgery is based on two sites. Previous Receptionist experience is essential.
26.25hours per week Monday to Friday. You will be required to work a combination of both AM & PM shifts which will either be 8.00am 1.15pm or 1.15pm 6.30pm. There is also a requirement to cover extended morning or evening clinics on a rotational basis.
Please apply by uploading your CV and a covering letter
Main duties of the job
Reception staff are the first point of contact for our patients. We are seeking a confident, reliable and flexible staff member to work with our large reception team to help with a variety of practice tasks, from answering patient queries, processing documents and ordering patient prescriptions.
The role is a fast paced and exciting opportunity for a candidate seeking a challenging role.
We are a rural GP Practice running over two sites (a mile apart)with 10 GP Partners, a strong Nurse and HCA team and alarge administrative team.
Our patient list size 20,500 and growing due to new housing developments.
We are a large, busyand dedicated practice who support the training and development of our staff in all areas.
Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way.
Provide general assistance to the Practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone
- Ensure an effective and efficient reception service is provided to patients and any other visitors to the Practice
- Deal with all general enquiries, explain procedures and make new and follow-up appointments.
- Using your own judgment and communication skills ensure that patients with no prior appointment but who need urgent consultation are seen in a logical and non-disruptive manner.
- Explain Practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those seeking temporary cover and ensure procedures are completed.
- Receive and make telephone calls as required. Divert calls and take messages, ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt appropriate delivery.
- Take requests for home visits recording as per practice protocol, ensuring careful recording of all relevant details and where necessary refer to Duty Doctor.
- Action repeat prescription requests and ensure that they are ready for collection by the patient within 48 hours, either on the computer or manually.
- Advise patients of relevant charges for private (non General Medical Services) services, accept payment and issue receipts for same.
- Enter patient information on to the computer as required.
- Patient notes and correspondence:
Retrieve and re-file records as required, ensuring strict alphabetical order is adhered to
Ensure correspondence, reports, results etc are scanned promptly in the correct records, ensuring that all recent correspondence is available when patients are seen.
Ensure records are kept in good repair with all necessary information on the outside cover clearly visible.
- Make and serve refreshments, ensure the kitchen is kept clean and tidy and air and tidy the waiting room in turn with other staff.
Open up premises at the start of the day when first to arrive, de-activate alarm and make all necessary preparations to receive patients.
When last to leave at the end of the day, ensure that the building is totally secured, internal lights are off and the alarm activated.
- Ensure that all new patients are registered onto the computer system promptly and accurately
- Undertake any other additional duties appropriate to the post as requested by the Partners or the Practice Manager.
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, Practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the Practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the Practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the Practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health & Safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others health, safety and security as defined in the Practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to Practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Reporting potential risks identified
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of peoples rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with Practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the Practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the Practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the teams performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognize peoples needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Knowledge and Skills
Qualities and Attributes
Rothwell & Desborough Healthcare Group
For help with your application, contact:
05 October 2021
£9.50 an hour