Faversham Medical Practice
This job is now closed
We are looking for a full-time Office Manager to work with our friendly and supportive team at Faversham Medical Practice.
Monday Friday 8am 4pm (37.5 hours)
(Agenda for Change - Band 6)
Main duties of the job
The post-holder will;
- Be responsible for the day-to-day supervision and line management of office staff (Including but not limited to all Admin staff, Medical Secretaries and other office staff) and associated functions, including the administrative processes and procedures, ensuring all functions are carried out in accordance within agreed procedures, protocols and time-scales and will report to the Business Manager.
- Be responsible for ensuring administrative and secretarial work is completed by the office staff in a timely manner with all deadlines being met. This, at times will include responsibility for ensuring the timely submission of claims and invoices.
- Assist the Business Manager to maintain standards under Care Quality Commission to optimise Practice performance.
- Have an excellent working knowledge of a clinical IT system, preferably EMIS / similar, including an understanding of the templates, protocols, concepts and be able to offer support to staff, GPs and Consultants of Faversham Medical Practice.
- Organize data sharing agreements and work with outside practices to enhance our business.
- Work closely with and support the Business Manager.
- Have organisational, administrative, good communication and inter-personal skills together with a good positive friendly attitude.
- Promote Faversham Medical Practice to achieve an increase in the range of services and facilities for the benefit of patients and take steps to improve the day to day working for staff, GPs and Consultants.
We are a GP Practice and Urgent Treatment Centre working from Faversham Health Centre.
We are a friendly and supportive team.
Faversham is a beautiful, historic market town. It is close to the vibrant city of Canterbury; just 60 miles from London and yet within easy reach of attractive coastline areas and beaches.
- To be responsible for the day-to-day supervision and line management of office staff (including but not limited to all Admin staff, Medical Secretariesand other office staff).
- To undertake a variety of administrative duties to assist in the smooth running of the Practice.
- Be familiar with Faversham Medical Practice protocols and take part in regular updates.
- To be adaptable with regard to working times and to the needs of the Practice as becomes evident with day to day changes within the practice.
- To identify areas where further training/systems/improvements are needed and ensure action is taken and changes implemented.
- Take responsibility for the operational line management of staff working in the office.
- Carry out 1, 2 and 6 monthly reviews, annual appraisals and return to work interviews after short periods of sick or other leave, for members of the office staff.
- Be involved in the recruitment of applicants for the office team, working closely with the HR Manager and Business Manager.
- Develop, arrange and carry out/oversee staff induction, training and development opportunities for the office team, liaising with the HR Manager to ensure staff are appropriately trained to fulfil their roles and to maximise opportunities for motivating staff to fulfil their potential.
- Deal with change of hours requests in conjunction with the HR Manager and Business Manager.
- Carry out exit interviews.
- Deal with general day-to-day queries from members of the office staff.
- Deal with requests for annual leave/TOIL/time off for other reasons, authorising or rejecting any requests in line with the Staff Handbook and in discussion with the HR Manager as appropriate.
- Take responsibility for the management of the staff rota for the office staff.
- Review training requests from the office staff as per Practice procedure.
- Involvement in the recruitment process for new members of the office staff, from evaluating staffing requirements through to the employees first day, liaising with the HR Manager and Business Manager as required.
- Assisting with Disciplinary and Grievance procedures, this could include investigations, meetings and note taking.
- Work closely with the Business Manager and others to ensure adequate staffing levels and training requirements associated with the office staff.
- Work closely with the Business Manager and HR Manager to involve staff as appropriate in the introduction of change.
- Be responsible for cross line management when another line manager is absent, ensuring line management duties are carried out.
- Assist the Business Manager and HR Manager in ensuring all policies and procedures are up to date, particularly as they relate to administrative and office work and ensure all relevant staff have read and signed updates.
- Work under the direction of the Business Manager, and others as appropriate in the handling of patient complaints, particularly where the complaint relates to the office staff.To pro-actively work to diffuse complaints at an early stage, particularly where the complaint relates to the activities of the office staff.
- Liaise with Consultants and assist with their inductions and setting up of their clinics.Monitor and audit activity of these clinics.
- Check time sheets, authorising as appropriate and passing to the Finance department.
- Take responsibility for reimbursing staff from petty cash in the Finance Managers absence.
- Carry out data validation searches to check data is recorded correctly to the ICB to ensure accurate financial claims are made.Where necessary deal with the discrepancies and any staff issues as a result of these.
- Monitor and ensure accurate reporting data and invoicing for all community integrated services is achieved by the required deadline.
- Maintain stationery and other stock levels relating to the office.
- Ensuring stock orders are submitted and ensuring that all stock has been checked upon arrival to be correct and present.
- Liaising with the Finance department to submit invoices and statements when necessary.
- Assist the Business Manager to implement improvements in line with the CQC and ensure that quality is maintained.
- Keep up to date with any changes in contracts, which will necessitate regular checks on the appropriate websites and liaising with the ICB commissioning teams.
- Attend Clinical Governance Meetings as required for all community integrated services and ensure all information relevant to the meeting is prepared and presented.
- Attend any practice meetings at the request of the Business Manager or Partners of Faversham Medical Practice.
- Liaise and support the outreach clinics and attend Clinical Governance
- Liaise and support clinicians and other members of staff to ensure correct read codes are being used and all patient activity is being correctly recorded in the computer system.
- Respond daily to queries, e mails, calls from all staff and outside providers to ensure the smooth running of integrated services.
- To set up monitoring spreadsheets where necessary within the practice.
- To respond to queries and liaise with members of the ICB Commissioning team where appropriate.
- To instigate checks on activity to ensure correct procedures and timescales are being adhered to.
- To ensure all accreditation certificates are received, DBS checks made, references taken up where necessary for all outside providers.
- Where necessary meet with the Partners and the Business Manager for forward planning and activity feedback and attend contract review meetings where appropriate.
- To monitor activity, audit outcomes and patient satisfaction for all integrated services.
Integrated Care Board (ICB)
- Supervise the collation of ICB data relating to performance, statistics, patient feedback and activity and producing summary management reports as required.
- Supervise working with the ICB to validate patient information, performing regular checks and quality audits, delegating as appropriate.
- Provide regular reports on the incentive and prescribing schemes to the Business Manager and ensure appropriate and timely claims are submitted.
- Ensure all ICB (and other) financial returns, records and queries are handled in a timely and efficient manner, liaising with the Business Manager and Finance Manager as appropriate.
Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF) and Enhanced Services
- Supervise the production of claims related to Enhanced, National or Local Services, remaining familiar with processes to ensure claims can be submitted in the event of staff absence.
- Ensure specifications for new Enhanced, National and Local Services are received and circulated to appropriate staff and arrange training as required, delegating as appropriate.
- Co-ordinate the submission of sign-up sheets as agreed.
- Maintain own knowledge of national, local and Practice quality standards for chronic disease management and ensure the admin team are made aware of changes in a timely manner.
- Support staff in correctly identifying and targeting patients for assessment and treatment.
- Ensure systems are in place and effective call and recall is carried out for QOF.
- Facilitate effective communication between suppliers, members of the primary health care team, the ICB and all other external agencies.
- Recognise the importance of effective communication within the team and strive to communicate effectively with other team members, patients and carers.
- Recognise peoples needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
- Provide reports on progress to the Business Manager and the Partners.
- Provide support and training for current and new staff ensuring that data quality guidelines are understood and adhered to, delegating as appropriate.
- Assist the Business Manager to implement improvements in line with the CQC, Quality and Outcome Framework (QOF), Enhanced services and ensure that quality is maintained.
Information and Technology
- To oversee the maintenance of an equipment log so that ICB and Practice owned equipment is readily identifiable.
- To oversee the regular updating of the Practice Asset Log.
- To oversee the reporting of IT faults and issues to GPIT, EMIS Helpline and others and recording appropriately. Initiate EMIS User Group Meeting/training sessions for the benefit of upskilling staff and outside providers.
- Responsible for organizing the signing in and out of Practice laptops from the Practice to staff working at home where applicable.
In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters.They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
Equality and diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of peoples rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
Job Description Agreement
This job description is intended to provide an outline of the key tasks and responsibilities only. There may be other duties required of the post-holder commensurate with the position. This description will be open to regular review and may be amended to take into account development within the Practice. All members of staff should be prepared to take on additional duties or relinquish existing duties in order to maintain the efficient running of the Practice.
This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, and it is expected that the successful applicant will participate in a wide range of activities