Essex House Medical Centre
This job is now closed
Essex House Medical Centre is looking for a Practice Nurse to join our dynamic nursing team. In addition to 6 GPs, a Nurse Practitioner and an ECP, we are also a teaching practice training GP Registrars, Medical and Nursing students.
This 16 hours a week role requires a Practice Nurse who wishes to gain skills and knowledge in General Practice nursing. Training will be offered to the right candidate, specifically in the area of Respiratory Chronic Disease management. Hours can be discussed but ideally we are looking for a nurse to work Monday and Friday.
We would expect the applicant to demonstrate their communication and teaching skills, to take an active part in supporting the Nursing team in role development and quality and improvement initiatives. In return we offer a friendly and supportive environment that encourages professional development.
For further information please email Julee Moon - Operations / Nurse Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Main duties of the job
The post-holder will be a first-level nurse (RGN). You should have undertaken and have knowledge of community or primary care nursing. Training in Respiratory Chronic disease will be offered if not already undertaken. The role is appropriate for a nurse holding a diploma level qualification.. You will be expected to assess and evaluate the care of patients and liaise with other health care professional as appropriate. You will be involved with the administration and audit for this area and support the GPs and Nurse Manager to develop a care programme as specified by NSF, CCG recommendations and the Quality and Outcomes Framework.
This is addition to the usual Practice Nurse responsibilities and treatment duties.
Applicants should be knowledgeable and self-motivated and want to provide quality care for our patients, based on up-to-date evidence and best practice.
Although we are a forward thinking practice we retain the traditional family feel of a GP surgery. We are a close team and hold regular MDT meetings to ensure all voices are heard. We recognise we need to support and respect each other and how humour plays a major role in getting us through a busy clinic. If you want to be part of an enthusiastic, motivated and friendly team and help us provide a quality service to our patients please apply!
Job Description Treatment Room Practice Nurse
Aims: To support GPs in their clinical role, providing the best possible medical care
to our patients
You are responsible for the assessment of nursing care needs and the development, implementation and evaluation programmes of care, working within practice policy/ protocols.
You will work in accordance with the NMC Code of Conduct, the scope for Professional Practice and other relevant professional guidance.
Responsible to: Nurse manager
Main Clinical Responsibilities:
- Venepuncture and capillary sampling
- Ear syringing and ear care advice
- Application of simple splints
- Routine immunisations for Influenza, Pneumonia, Tetanus/ Diphtheria and Polio protection, Nurses should be aware of contraindications and practice within the Patient Group Directives provided by the CCG (A Doctor should always be present on site)
- Routine care and assessment of minor new wounds, burns etc
- Routine care and assessment and review of previously assessed leg ulcers and wounds including suture removal
- First aid of minor injuries and emergency resuscitation (CPR) It will be necessary to attend regular updates for this procedure
- Measurement of blood pressure and give advice as appropriate using the protocol on the management of hypertension
- Undertaking diagnostic tests such as ECGs etc
- Routine testing of urinalysis
- Therapeutic injections prescribed by a doctor
- Preparation and application of soft cervical collars
- Administration of nebulised salbutamol when prescribed by a doctor, including taking peak flow measurements
- Taking swabs for bacteriological testing (including vaginal)
- Assisting GPs with examination, Minor ops and IUD fittings etc
- Promote and give advice on all issues of healthy living
THIS LIST IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND MAY BE ADDED TO AS NECESSARY
Provide support and supervise the work of the HCA, being aware of their role and limitations
In the absence of the HCA the provision for stocking up rooms and ordering supplies needs to be covered
Maintaining the stock and equipment within the treatment rooms
Maintaining accurate computer records ensuring consultations are coded correctly
Offering advice about local care agencies and if necessary liaising with other members of the community health care team
You will be required to maintain your own professional knowledge and skills by attending relevant study days/ course, reading evidence based literature and networking
Assist with the administration of vaccines or other new injections that have been introduced by the Department of Health
Practice protocols are in place for the safety of both patients and staff. Practice Nurses are expected to follow any relevant protocols and not to deviate without the consent of the senior nurse or a GP.
The Practice Nurse should be willing to undergo further training if necessary and have their skills updated where appropriate.
The Practice Nurse should familiarise herself /himself with any Health & Safety issues concerning safe practice in the treatment room and or relating to their other duties.
Knowledge and Skills
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Essex House Medical Centre
For help with your application, contact:
31 August 2021