PCN Pharmacy Technician
The closing date is 31 August 2022
The Rural Alliance Primary Care Network (PCN) is looking to recruit 4 experienced, motivated and enthusiastic Pharmacy Technicians to join our Pharmacy team across our Primary Care Network in South Cheshire.
We have positions available in Bunbury, Malpas, Tarporley and at the Village Surgeries Group in Tattenhall and Farndon. As a PCN Pharmacy Technician, the role holder will be employed at a practice but will be expected to support work across the PCN, including travelling across sites as required.
The PCN practices each employ a clinical pharmacist. Pharmacy Technicians will have a key role in providing technical and administrative support to their Clinical Pharmacist, clinicians, practice staff and the wider PCN. Their work will be varied and interesting and will contribute to a safe, accurate, cost efficient and timely medication/prescribing service, to ensure the best clinical outcomes for our patients.
Main duties of the job
Amongst other duties, the successful candidate will:
- Identify patients suitable for medication change and review, to support QOF, IIF, PCN DES and ICB prescribing incentive scheme targets.
- Analyse prescribing data using the clinical system patient records, highlight any recommendations and implement changes if required.
- Implement initiatives to reduce waste and improve medicines compliance.
- Under clinical supervision, manage medication changes from hospital letters. Communicate with secondary care staff as required.
- Support medication reviews and medicines reconciliation (including new patients). Complete data gathering exercises to support the clinician carrying out medication reviews.
- Implement service changes relating to prescribing to ensure best practice is adopted in accordance with local guidelines, legislation, safety updates e.g NICE, MHRA.
- Complete audits on patient safety and cost savings in the prescribing of medication.
- Process repeat medication requests, including the conversion of acute requests to repeat medicines, changing quantities of medicines.
- Issue prescriptions in line with agreed clinical protocols and within your competency.
- Manage medication queries within agreed protocols.
The Rural Alliance PCN is a group of six practices in rural West Cheshire who work collaboratively. The 6 GP practices which form the Rural Alliance PCN are Bunbury Health Centre; Kelsall Medical Practice; Malpas Surgery; Drs Adey & Dancy, Tarporley; Dr Campbell & Partners, Tarporley Health Centre and The Village Surgeries Group. The Alliance is made up of 18 whole time equivalent GPs serving a population of approximately 41,000 patients. We work closely with our Integrated Community Care team and Tarporley War Memorial Hospital and look after 5 Nursing Homes with circa 160 residents.
All the practices in the PCN are committed to working together to provide new models of care and skill mixing and we are supported by a proactive and responsive ICP. We pride ourselves in providing the best care for our patients and offering mentorship and development support for those who work with us.
A DBS check is an essential requirement for the post. Employment of the post, on the same terms and conditions, will move to the new PCN Company when this is formed in 2023.
For full details please see attached Job Description and Person Specification. This should be referenced in your application.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).